Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What is the title of the 1949 George Orwell novel which told of life in a totalitarian state dominated by 'Big Brother', 'Newspeak', and the 'Two Minute Hate'?
2. What is the title of the 1932 Aldous Huxley novel in which the psychedelic drug 'soma' is used to pacify the citizens and people are divided into the castes Alpha through Epsilon based on their genetic make-up?
3. What is the title of the 1962 Anthony Burgess novel in which a Beethoven-loving juvenile delinquent convicted of murder is programmed to find both violence and Beethoven's Ninth Symphony physically repulsive?
4. In a 1969 Ursula LeGuin novel an ethnologist visits a planet with a usually neuter population. Individuals randomly become either male or female at the peak of a periodic sexual cycle. What is the title of this Hugo and Nebula award-winning novel?
5. In 1965 Frank Herbert wrote a novel set on the desert planet of Arrakis inhabited by giant sandworms. What is the title of this novel which was made into a much maligned film by David Lynch?
6. What is the title of the 1966 Isaac Asimov novel in which a medical team is placed in a submarine, miniaturized, and injected into the body of a patient?
7. What is the title of a 1968 John Brunner novel about overpopulation?
8. In 1973 J.G. Ballard wrote a novel about a subculture of people who become sexually aroused by automobile accidents and recreate car crashes involving celebrities. What is the title of this novel which was made into a movie starring James Spader and directed by David Cronenberg?
9. What is the name of the classic J.R.R. Tolkien fantasy trilogy featuring Bilbo Baggins, Frodo, and Gandalf?
10. What is the title of the 1951 Ray Bradbury novel about a fireman whose job is to burn books?
11. What is the title of the 1961 Robert Heinlein novel in which Valentine Michael Smith, a human raised on Mars, returns to Earth armed with special powers and teaches people the meaning of 'grok'?
12. What is the title of the 1962 Philip K. Dick alternative history novel about life in California after a version of World War II in which the Axis powers of Germany, Japan, and Italy were victorious?
13. What is the title of the 1967 Roger Zelazny novel about humans on a colony planet who used the indigenous technology to give themselves the immortality and other god-like qualities of the gods of Hinduism?
14. What is the title of the 1966 Daniel Keyes novel about a retarded man who underwent an experimental treatment in which he was temporarily transformed into a genius?
15. What is the title of the 1959 Pat Frank novel about a small Florida town which survived a nuclear war?
16. What is the title of the 1969 Michael Moorcock novel about a twentieth century time traveller who goes to ancient Palestine looking for Jesus Christ and is mistaken for the Messiah himself?
17. In 1966 Philip K. Dick wrote a novel about a near future Los Angeles in which a detective tracks down androids known as replicants. What is the title of this book which was the basis for a movie directed by Ridley Scott starring Harrison Ford?
18. What is the title of the 1966 Harry Harrison novel about overpopulation which was the basis for the 1973 film 'Soylent Green' starring Charlton Heston?
19. What is the title of the 1960 Walter M. Miller novel set in the Dark Ages 600 years after a 20th century nuclear holocaust in which the Order of Leibowitz is trying to preserve mankind's knowledge?
20. What is the title of the 1953 Arthur C. Clarke novel in which extraterrestrial 'Overlords' invade and conquer the Earth?
21. What is the title of the 1969 Norman Spinrad novel in which a former Berkeley radical became a brash television talk show host?
22. What is the title of the 1984 William Gibson cyberpunk novel set in a world of global computer networks and virtual reality?
23. What is the title of the 1969 Kurt Vonnegut novel which tells the story of Billy Pilgrim who survived the bombing of Dresden?
24. What is the title of the 1976 Kingsley Amis alternative history novel set in modern Europe about a boy singer facing surgery to preserve his soprano voice?
25. What is the title of the 1980 Gregory Benford novel about an attempt to change history through the transmission of tachyonic messages through time?
Source: Author Akhnaten
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor looney_tunes
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.