Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What is the famous first line of this story?
2. What phenomenon does the narrator discuss in great detail?
3. What object does the narrator believe he is enclosed in after he recovers from his faint?
4. What object does the narrator attempt to retrieve from his clothing?
5. When the narrator awoke from his first nap in the chamber, what did he find beside him?
6. When the narrator explores his prison chamber, he believes it to be a rectangle of 100 yards in circuit.
7. Daring to walk across the chamber, the narrator trips on the torn hem of his robe and falls. He then makes a discovery that:
8. After the narrator's initial discovery, he becomes convinced there are deep wells throughout the chamber.
9. Why does a deep sleep overcome the narrator?
10. The prison cell was constructed out of which material?
11. The narrator is placed upon a wooden framework and bound tightly except for which two body parts?
12. A noise coming from the pit attracts the narrator's attention. What animal began to issue from the hole?
13. The narrator suddenly becomes aware of a swinging pendulum descending very slowly from the ceiling.
14. The pendulum was meant to cross which part of the body?
15. Within sweeps of the deadly device, the narrator states that he did what for the first time in days?
16. The narrator believes that he can be freed from his bondage by letting the pendulum sweep across and cut the cords off of him. Is this how he is freed?
17. How soon after the narrator frees himself do his captors imprison him once more?
18. The chamber walls begin to shift from the original form of a rectangle to what new shape?
19. The narrator's fate at the end of "The Pit and the Pendulum":
20. This story takes place in Toledo.
Source: Author volleygrl07
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.