Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Buddhism developed as an offshoot of Hinduism.
2. Buddhism developed as a social movement against Brahmanical society.
3. In essence Buddhist and Hindu philosophy are mostly in agreement.
4. The Buddha spoke Pali.
5. Theravada Buddhism is the original form of Buddhism.
6. Sometime around the second council, a major schism split the Buddhist world into the Hinayana and Mahayana.
7. All Buddhists, at least in theory, repudiate the existence of a self.
8. With the exception of the Tibetan communities in exile, Buddhism is now non-existent in India.
9. The Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of all Buddhist Tibetans.
(NB: 'Buddhist Tibetans' because historically a small but persistent minority of Tibetans are Muslim and, more recently, Chinese policy has led to the resettlement of a large ethnically non-Tibetan population in Tibet)
10. Nirvana, the goal of human existence according to Buddhism, means the 'blowing out' of the self.
Source: Author gti mug pa
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.