Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Qatar being the hosts of the 2022 FIFA World Cup means they qualified automatically. Qatar lobbied for a further concession. They were granted the right to play the first match a day earlier than the rest of the competition. Who were their opponents?
2. It did not take long for the upsets to occur. Argentina and Germany were two of the favourites to win the competition, but both lost their opening matches, 2-1, to much lower-ranked teams. Who were their respective opponents?
3. While there were a lot of draws and low scores in the opening round of matches, one team scored six goals in its match, and another scored seven. What were these two respective countries?
4. There were more upsets in the second round of the Group Stage fixtures. In Group F the worldwide ranked number two country was convincingly beaten causing riots in the loser's capital. What was the scoreline?
5. Another unexpected result, especially after the first round of fixtures, was in the next match Japan played. What was the scoreline?
6. Because of their good showing in their first-round match, Tunisia were expected to win their second match. What was the score?
7. More shocks in the third and final round of matches in the group stage. Australia, ranked 41 worldwide, was given little chance of knocking off this soccer powerhouse. Yet they did, qualifying for the knockout phase and sending this team home. Who was Australia's opponent?
8. In Group F, Croatia and Belgium drawn against each other, both highly ranked and expected to qualify for the knockout round. They played a 0-0 draw. Which of the two teams qualified top from this group?
9. The third round of fixtures in Group E were the most exciting of all the Group fixtures this round as any of the four teams could win. In a see-sawing match that Germany had to win to be still in contention, they defeated Costa Rica 4-2. Was this enough to qualify?
10. Group H was another group where all four teams were in contention before their respective matches. Which country left it to the very last minute, scoring the winning goal in stoppage time to qualify by the barest of margins?
Source: Author 1nn1
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Fifiona81
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.