Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What British Prime Minister is often accredited with having originated the phrase, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"?
2. United States cities with strict gun control laws have statistically higher rates of crime than cities with fewer gun controls. Therefore, gun control increases crime. What is wrong with this use of statistics?
3. It is commonly reported that in the United States, half of all marriages end in divorce. But what percentage of Americans who have ever been married have ever been divorced?
4. "Every year since 1950, the number of American children gunned down has doubled." What is wrong with this statistic?
5. It is commonly reported that in the United States, HIV is growing fastest in the heterosexual population. This is true. What is also true?
6. A company is in arbitration with its labor unions, and runs an advertisement reporting that the average salary earned in its company is $100,000 a year. However, it is a fact that 80 percent of its workers make less than $25,000 a year. The company must be lying.
7. An advertisement reports, "Brand X car uses 20 percent less gas." What's wrong with this statistic?
8. "Eighty percent of all respondents preferred the Cowboys to the Redskins. Therefore, we can conclude that Americans prefer the Cowboys to the Redskins." What is wrong with this use of statistics?
9. What academy award winning documentary, directed by Michael Moore, is accused by critics of manipulating gun statistics?
10. Joe Schmoe has had his quizzes played 1,000 times. Janet Bobanet has had her quizzes played only 500 times. Joe's quizzes must be twice as popular as Janet's quizzes.
Source: Author skylarb
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor natsim
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.