Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. You have just written a novel. You must register a copyright with the U.S. copyright office in order to own the copyright.
2. FunTrivia content (text and images) are copyrighted under U.S. and international law.
3. Which of the following cannot be copyrighted?
4. You've just come up with a great new idea. Can you copyright it?
5. The U.S. Copyright Office offers special instructions on how to copyright photos of Elvis sightings.
6. In 1982, you wrote a play. How long will your copyright last?
7. When you write a poem, you must always put the copyright symbol on the poem before submitting it for potential publication in U.S. magazines.
8. There is no cost to register a copyright.
9. Exclusive rights to your work may be granted to another without a written agreement.
10. You want to publish a poem that has already appeared in a small press magazine. (The magazine did not obtain all rights to your work, and you still own the copyright.) Can you submit it to a major magazine that says it obtains first serial rights?
11. Now you want to publish a story that has already appeared in a small press magazine. (The magazine did not obtain all rights to your work, and you still own the copyright.) Can you submit it to a major magazine that obtains reprint rights?
12. You are writing a book review, and want to quote a short line or two from the book in question. Will this likely qualify as copyright infringement?
13. You want to publish a poem in two different magazines, both of which will appear at about the same time. What kind of rights should you grant to your work?
14. You published an E-book and granted "all rights" to your E-book publisher. Now, a different traditional print publisher wants to publish the book as a trade paperback. Can you give this new publisher permission to publish your book?
15. You work for an accounting firm. You are on its payroll and you produce its newsletter. You write a fabulous article for the newsletter about how to cut your taxes. Who owns the copyright - you or your employer?
16. In the court case in Tasini v. New York Times, the judge ruled that, in the absence of a contract to the contrary, a publisher may place all of the articles in its printed publication in an online archive, without further permission from the author or compensation.
17. You have just published a short story on a website, but you have not given up print rights. What kind of rights did you likely grant?
18. You want to use the full text of a poem as a heading to one of your chapters. The author has been dead for 100 years, so you can definitely use the work without worrying about copyright infringement.
19. You write a piece of "X-files fanfiction" using the Mulder and Scully characters and settings. Is this probably copyright infringement?
20. A teacher is having her class analyze a poem that is not yet in the public domain. She makes twenty copies of the poem, one for each of her students, to read in class. Is she likely to be found liable for copyright infringement?
21. You obtain a federal report from the internet authored by the federal government. You think it will be helpful to your newsletter audience, so you copy it word for word and publish it in your newsletter. Is this copyright infringement?
22. You have published a short story in a United States periodical. Now you want to publish it in a Canadian periodical. Which type of rights can you grant?
23. You post a sonnet by William Shakespeare on your website and credit it to yourself. What have you committed?
24. You wish to post on your own website a short story written by someone else. The story is not in the public domain, but since you aren't making any money off of the story, this is not copyright infringement.
25. When 2 Live Crew copied the bass rift from Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" and set to the tune words that parodied the original song, the Supreme Court ruled that the act was copyright infringement.
Source: Author skylarb
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.