Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In Edgar Allan Poe's poem "Annabel Lee", who were the supernatural beings that envied the love that was more than love between the poet and Annabel Lee?
2. In Edgar Allan Poe's 15-line poem "To Helen" (implying Helen of Troy), how does the poet describe Helen's beauty when "On desperate seas long wont to roam"? (hint: not the bard).
3. Towards the end of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven", the poet describes how the raven is sitting "on the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door". How does he describe the appearance of the raven's eyes?
4. "An anthem for the queenliest dead that ever died so young" and "A dirge for her, the doubly dead in that she died so young" are lines from which Edgar Allan Poe poem dedicated to lost love and mourning? She is mentioned in other Poe literature too, including "The Raven".
5. In which haunting Edgar Allan Poe poem about death and decay are we "In the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir", and "By the door of a legended tomb"? (hint: the others are poems by Philip Larkin)
6. The long poem "Tamerlane" was one of Edgar Allan Poe's earliest.
What does Tamerlane say is on his brow that he "claimed and won usurpingly - hath not the same fierce heirdom Rome to the Caesar - this to me? The heritage of a kingly mind"?
7. In which Edgar Allan Poe poem is there a gallant knight who journeyed long in search of a land, and who met a pilgrim shadow to ask, "Where can it be, this land of ..."?
8. The opening lines of Edgar Allan Poe's love poem "Serenade" are "So sweet the hour, so calm the time, I feel it more than half a crime, When Nature sleeps and stars are mute". Which 'plucked' line comes next?
9. In Edgar Allan Poe's poem "Eulalie", what does he say is less bright than the eyes of the radiant girl?
10. What is the name of the poem by Edgar Allan Poe in which the angels sit in a theatre with a curtain that is a funeral pall, the angels sob at vermin fangs, and the play is a tragedy called "Man"?
Source: Author Kenners158
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor looney_tunes
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.