Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1852 the last known great auk was spotted in Newfoundland, Canada. It has not been seen since. What kind of animal was the great auk?
2. The Cuban red macaw was last seen in 1864 near the Zapata Swamp on Cuba. This brilliant bird died out for what common reason related to humans?
3. Which of the following is a type of zebra, native to South Africa that became extinct in 1883?
4. The last Atlas bear was killed in the 1870's in the Rif Mountains. It was the only indigenous bear to which continent?
5. When an animal is only found on only one island, it is not hard to cause its extinction. The warrah was the only land mammal native to which group of southern Atlantic islands?
6. The last Syrian wild ass died in 1928 in the Schonbrunn Zoo in Vienna, Austria. Once plentiful, what human activity had a direct connection to the extinction of this wild equine?
7. The last Honshu wolf died in 1905. Besides human predation because it preyed on farm animals, what was the other major cause for the extinction of this unusual animal?
8. The last tarpan died in captivity in 1909. Native to Russia and parts of Europe, what kind of animal was a tarpan?
9. The last Schomburgk's deer was shot in 1932 by a drunk who did not know what he had just killed. What country was the home to these beautiful animals?
10. The last pink-headed duck was seen in the 1950's. Native to the Indian sub-continent, this duck became extinct because of what western fashion?
11. Though it is usually thought of as a cold climate animal, the Monachus tropicalis was the only type of what kind of animal to live in the Caribbean Sea?
12. The Middle East has had extinction levels rise at an alarming rate. The hunt for which naturally occurring commodity has caused these rapid rates of extinction?
13. The Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve was home to a very unique but now extinct toad. The name of the toad was the same as its color. What was this vibrant amphibian called?
14. The Pyrenean ibex once roamed the Pyrenees Mountains in Spain and France. Declared extinct in 2000, what distinction does this animal hold?
15. In 2007 the baiji was declared extinct. Endemic to China, what kind of animal was the baiji?
Source: Author dcpddc478
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.