Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1956, Pierre Plantard came up with a super-deception that many still believe to be true. Plantard was a pretender to the French throne, but see if you can spot his actual hoax in the list provided.
2. Which well-known British author succumbed in 1917 to a deception by a ten year old and a sixteen year old?
3. One of the most pernicious forgeries of all time had far-reaching effects, and led to rampant anti-Semitism, pogroms, wholesale death and murder. What was it?
4. In 1440 Lorenzo Valla exposed this forgery, but it wasn't until 1929, when Mussolini forced the Vatican to admit that it was fraudulent, that it was finally laid to rest. What was the document?
5. There are still people who believe that they saw a genuine autopsy of an alien, filmed in Roswell in 1947. Which US television network broadcast the film in 1995?
6. In 1912, Charles Dawson pulled a fast one on the Geological Society of London. What fossil did he fabricate?
7. In January 2003, I visited the Royal Ontario Museum to see a very special exhibit that had been discovered in Israel in 2002. It was later suspected to be a fraud. What did I go to see?
8. What happened in October 1938 that terrified Americans?
9. What hoax did Boston University history professor Joseph Boskin perpetrate in 1983?
10. In 1983, a journalist perpetrated one of the great deceptions of all time by convincing his employers to publish the contents of a forged document. Which publication's owners fell for his deception?
Source: Author Cymruambyth
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.