Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Of the following, for what reason is the city of Key West significant in the United States?
2. What major highway of the United States, ending in Key West, provides the only automobile road entering Key West?
3. Which major airline was founded in Key West in 1926 as a seaplane service?
4. Key West is the county seat of what Florida county?
5. Residents of Key West are traditionally referred to as Conchs. Where did this nickname originate?
6. Of the following statements, which is NOT true regarding Key West?
7. In 1935, what natural disaster destroyed Key West's railroad system and killed over 500 residents of the island?
8. In my opinion, one of the most interesting events in U.S. history is the story of the Conch Republic of Key West. The government and residents of Key West became angered with the U.S. Border Patrol's decision to set up a roadblock and inspect all vehicles entering the city for narcotics and illegal immigrants. The inspections delayed traffic into the island, caused huge delays for tourists, and hurt the city's economy. The city petitioned the national government to remove the inspections, but they remained. As a last ditch effort, Key West formed its own republic. In what year did the city of Key West secede from the United States and form the Conch Republic?
9. Of the following, which of these actions did NOT occur under the Conch Republic?
10. The Conch Republic went so far as to declare an official currency, weapon, language, and motto. Which of these is NOT correctly matched with the official Conch Republic identifier?
Source: Author Triviaballer
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor LilahDeDah
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.