Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Who were the Carthaginians originally descended from?
2. This tyrant of Syracuse was the one who set the ball rolling by allying himself with Carthage. What was his name?
3. Who had the Romans defeated to bring all of Southern Italy under their control?
4. Of the Roman commanders in the war, which was not a "Novus Homo"?
5. This naval innovation allowed the Romans to defeat the Carthaginians at sea, where they expected to have complete dominance.
6. What was the most common type of ship used in the war?
7. This general threw the sacred chickens into the sea, saying "if they will not eat, let them drink." He then presided over a naval disaster.
8. In this battle, elephants terrorised the Roman line, ending the invasion of Africa.
9. Probably having learned from Regulus, Metellus made Hasdrubal's elephants run amok through the Carthaginian army by digging a ditch. Where did this battle take place?
10. After having lost the war, Hamilcar Barca sent this subordinate to the Romans to negotiate the peace:
Source: Author Grugni
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.