Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Anthony and Marie have a heated argument. During their fight, Anthony tells Marie that he hates her and wished that she would get hit by a bus. Later that evening, Anthony receives a call from a friend who tells him that Marie is in the hospital because she was struck by a bus. Anthony immediately blames himself and reasons that if he hadn't made that comment during their fight, Marie would not have been hit. What logical fallacy has Anthony committed?
2. Louise is running for class president. In her campaign speech she says, "My opponent does not deserve to win. She is a smoker and she cheated on her boyfriend last year." What fallacy has Louise committed?
3. Consider the following conversation:
Bill: I think capital punishment is wrong.
Adam: No it isn't. If it was wrong, it wouldn't be legal.
Of which fallacy is this an example?
4. Sarah wakes up one morning to find that she has just slept through her anatomy test. She emails her teacher and asks if she can make up the test. Sarah states that she deserves to take it at a later time because she didn't sleep well because her boyfriend just broke up with her, her dog is sick and she stained her favorite dress. What fallacy is this?
5. Ricky is watching television when he sees a commercial for foot cream. The commercial announcer says, "This is the best foot cream on the market because no other foot cream makers have been able to prove otherwise!" What fallacy has the announcer committed?
6. Maria has been working at her current job for more than 30 years at the same wage. She desperately wants a raise so she approaches her boss to ask for one. She says, "You are one of the kindest people I know. You are smart and good-looking and I really love your shoes." What type of fallacy is this?
7. Jeff's mom is concerned when she finds out that he skipped class one day. She tells him that she is concerned that since he skipped one class, he will start skipping more frequently. Then he will drop out altogether, never graduate or get into college, and end up unemployed and living at home for the rest of his life. What type of fallacy has Jeff's mom committed?
8. Consider the following exchange:
Debbie: I think capital punishment is a necessary component of our justice system and should remain legal.
Dylan: So you are saying that murder should be legal and it is okay for us to go around killing people just because we think they deserve it? That isn't right.
Of what fallacy is Dylan guilty?
9. Dana is trying to raise money for her university's library. In her address to the board of trustees, she says, "We must raise tuition to cover the cost of new books. Otherwise the library will be forced to close."
Of what fallacy is this an example?
10. Jeff is preparing to create a commercial for a new energy drink. He visits a local high school and surveys students in an English class about their beverage preferences. The majority of the class says they prefer grape flavored drinks, so Jeff tells his superiors that grape is the flavor favored most by high school students. What error in reasoning has Jeff made?
Source: Author flamingo6684
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor CellarDoor
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.