Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Blue Jays' 1993 regular season is notable as the breakout year of 1st baseman John Olerud. What milestone was Olerud on track to achieve until mid August?
2. Cito Gaston became the first manager in team history in 1993 to manage an All-Star game, an honor that was bestowed upon him for having led Jays to the 1992 league championship and which gave him influence over the selection of players. How many Blue Jays were selected to the team?
3. In August, the Jays acquired legendary lead-off man Ricky Henderson in a trade with the Oakland As. Immediately following the trade, speculation ensued over where Henderson would fit into what was already a stellar lineup, especially considering that the Jays already had a bona fide lead-off hitter in Devon White, who'd performed effectively in the spot for 2 and a half seasons.
White was moved out of the lead-off spot to make room for Henderson.
4. The 1993 Blue Jays became the first team in over 100 years to do what?
5. The road to the 1993 World Series went through Chicago, with the Jays facing the White Sox in the ALCS. The AL West champions boasted some prominent talent, including the eventual season MVP in 1st baseman Frank Thomas, the Cy Young award winner in Jack McDowell, and a former member of the Blue Jays in what would be the final chapter of his career. Who was it?
6. In the World Series, the Blue Jays faced the National League Champion Philadelphia Phillies. Tied at one game apiece, the series shifted to Philadelphia for game 3. Because the designated hitter is not used in the National League, the Jays were forced to sit one of their regular starting players. Which of the Jays' big guns watched game 3 from the bench?
7. In the World Series against the NL Phillies, which Blue Jay pitcher showed inexperience on the base paths in game 4 when he bloodied his chin sliding into third while attempting to go 1st to 3rd on a single?
8. In the World Series against the NL Phillies, both teams combined for 29 runs in game 4, which set a record as the highest scoring game in WS history. What was the final score of the game?
9. The 1993 World Series is most remembered for Joe Carter's three-run, walk-off home run off Mitch Williams in game 6 in Toronto, which ended the series and clinched the Jays their second World Championship in as many years. Which Phillis' player hit a three-run homer earlier in the game?
10. Who was awarded the World Series MVP?
Source: Author willyupshaw
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.