Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Boston Celtics, wearing Kelly green uniforms for their home games, had supporters of all the other teams in the competition green with envy as they dribbled their way to eleven national titles between 1957 and 1969, led by such stars of the game as Bob Cousy and Bill Russell. What sport did they play?
2. Possibly the best-known team in their sport, the Green Bay Packers won both of the first two Super Bowls, in 1967 and 1968. The trophy awarded to the winner of the Super Bowl was officially named the Vince Lombardi Trophy in 1970, as an acknowledgement of the coach's role in the team's success in these games. Which of these is NOT a name used for the game they were playing?
3. In 2015, the Australian national cricket team (who, unlike most such teams, do not have an officially-recognised team nickname, and are known simply as the Australian XI, or Aussies for short) won the ICC World Cup for the fifth time (out of the eleven times that this event had been held), wearing their traditional green and gold uniforms. Which form of the game was played in this competition?
4. When the Fremantle Dockers were established in 1995, their uniforms were green, purple, red and white, with the away uniform being mostly green. The green was eliminated in 2010, but that original garish combination is still remembered as fans of which sport watch players hand passing, taking marks, and scoring goals and behinds?
5. The Oakland Athletics, whose uniform includes green socks and a green cap, were originally the Philadelphia Athletics (1901-1954), an original team in the American League, then the Kansas City Athletics (1955-1967), before moving to Oakland in 1968. In what sport did they win nine World Series titles between 1910 and 1989?
6. The national team for Mexico in a sport governed by FIFA wears a green uniform, and played against France in the very first World Cup match in their sport, held on 13 July 1930. Which of these sports do they play?
7. While the Vancouver Canucks wear green when they compete in the NHL, it is slightly more surprising that the Dallas Stars have participated in the same sport, also wearing green, since 1993. What wintry sport is it?
8. The Saskatchewan Roughriders won the Grey Cup in 1966, 1989, 2007 and 2013, playing in a game with twelve players on the field for each team. In what sport were these green-uniformed players competing?
9. In early April each year, sportsmen try to get on the green at Augusta, Georgia using as few shots as possible, so as to achieve a winning score and don the traditional green jacket awarded to the winner of a tournament which is one of the four major titles in what sport?
10. The Kangaroos wear the Australian colors of green and gold, and were successful in ten of the first fourteen World Cups in their sport. They only missed the finals once, in the first tournament held in 1954. In which of these sports do players try to score a try for their team?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor 1nn1
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.