Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which of these players made his Major League Baseball debut (as a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox) on July 11, 1914, starting a career that ended on May 30, 1935?
2. Which of the following pitchers had a career record of 94 wins and 46 losses, with an Earned Run Average of 2.28?
3. In December of 1919, the owner of the Boston Red Sox sold a player to the New York Yankees, reputedly in order to finance a musical, but more likely due to a contractual dispute with the slugger in question. Whose sale is said to have laid 'The Curse of the Bambino' on the Red Sox, a curse that kept them from winning the World Series again in the 20th century?
4. Which of these hard-hitting baseball players amassed 714 home runs with a career batting average of 0.342?
5. Which of these baseball legends played on teams that won a total of seven World Series championships?
6. Who was the player for the New York Yankees who attracted so many fans to watch him play during the 1920s, that their new stadium was nicknamed for him?
7. Which of these players was elected to Baseball's Hall of Fame in 1936, receiving a vote from 95.13% of those members of the Baseball Writers Association of America who cast votes?
8. In 1948, the New York Yankees retired the jersey number 3 that had been worn by one of their 'favorite sons'. Who wore that number during his career with the Yankees?
9. Who was named the greatest baseball player of the 20th century by the magazine "Sports Illustrated"?
10. In 1993, the Associated Press conducted a survey to see which athletes' names were correctly recognized by members of the American public. Muhammad Ali tied for first place with which of these baseball players?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.