Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In the year 2000, this talented Portuguese midfielder made a dramatic move between two of the most successful clubs in Spain: Barcelona and Real Madrid. Which of the following players was at the center of one of the most controversial transfers in Spanish football history?
2. In 2012, Dutch striker Robin Van Persie caused Arsenal fans to be extremely upset about his transfer to which other English team, which plays their home games at Old Trafford?
3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is perhaps one of the most controversial players of modern times. Which of these teams, known as La Vecchia Signora, did he leave in 2006 after their relegation to Italy's Serie B?
4. Brazilian star Ronaldo played in some of the best clubs in the world during his 18-year decorated career; however, a number of those teams were rivals with each other! In which Italian city did Ronaldo play for two different teams, both of which call the San Siro Stadium home?
5. Emre Belozoglu started his professional career at Galatasaray, and after playing for other European clubs, he went back to his home country to join Fenerbahçe, enraging fans of his first team. In which of these countries do those two teams play?
6. Oribe Peralta was one of Mexico's most celebrated players in the 2010s for his role in helping the national team qualify for the 2014 World Cup. However, he created great controversy in 2019 when he was transferred to Chivas de Guadalajara from which rival team named after a continent?
7. Argentina has some of the most intense fanbases in the world, something that Oscar Ruggeri witnessed when his house was burned down by Boca Juniors "hinchas" in 1985. The cause was his move to which other famous Argentine team and historical rival of Boca Juniors?
8. Mario Gotze's 2013 transfer from Borussia Dortmund to Bayern Munich raised eyebrows with Borussia's supporters because he chose to announce these plans before an important match against Real Madrid. Which tournament, one that Bayern Munich ended up winning, was that match part of?
9. Belgian midfielder Steven Defour played for Standard Liege between 2006 and 2011. In 2014, he joined Anderlecht, a move that Standard's fans strongly disapproved of. To show their anger, the fans decided to display a banner when Standard Liege played against Anderlecht in 2015, with the words "_____ or dead" and a gruesome depiction of Defour's decapitated head.
Which word completes the sentence in this banner that caused Defour to be sent off in that match?
10. This Argentine striker played for Real Madrid before transferring to Napoli in 2013. Three years later, he shocked Italy when he joined rival Juventus. Which of these players caused great controversy because of this move?
Source: Author Lpez
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Fifiona81
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.