Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Finally, some Christmas company! After seven days, I am the first Guild member whose true love gave me a gift of human companionship - eight maids a-milking - all good farm girls and chatty companions. One of them mentioned that there is a patron saint for dairymaids. Who is she?
2. I spent a great deal of time today with my eight maids a-milking. They are all very proud of their profession but emphasized that not all maids milk cows and at least one maid was a king-maker. They all admire Joan of Arc as the "Maid of Orleans", indirectly responsible for the coronation of which French King?
3. After my true love gave me the eight maids a-milking, he was feeling a bit impish and coyly asked if any of them had ever been a scullery maid. Indignantly, they all replied at once: "Never!" What are scullery maids also known as?
4. One of the eight maids a-milking given me by my true love this Christmas is also a part-time university student studying botany. She saw a vase filled with mixed flowers in my parlour and said: "Ma'am, did you know that one of those flowers contains lactose?" Which one?
5. Eight seems to be my true love's favourite number. Last Christmas my true love gave me eight cheeses. What causes the red and yellow colouring of many cheeses?
6. Last Christmas my true love gave me eight Christmas puddings. What day was the traditional "stir up Sunday", the day most people prepared their Christmas pudding?
7. The lovely maids decide to tell me a little bit about cows. While many animals only see in black and white, cows see in colour - except for one colour. What colour can't they see?
8. My merry maids then explain to me how to tell the age of a cow! How do you tell?
9. Last Christmas my true love gave me eight kilts. Hogmanay is the celebration of the New Year in the Scottish manner. What is NOT a traditional symbolic gift of 'first-footing'?
10. Eight is considered auspicious in China because its Cantonese pronunciation sounds like the same as the Chinese word for "to make money". Last Christmas my true love gave me eight chemistry sets. In chemistry what is eight the atomic number of?
Source: Author JaneMarple
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.