Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The cult Japanese band Shonen Knife, beloved of Kurt Cobain, are doing a tour of small venues in England. What is the word for England in their native tongue?
2. Robotic French duo Daft Punk are touring South-East Asia. Among the countries they're scheduled to play is Cambodia. What is the French name for Cambodia?
3. The Manic Street Preachers are touring the United States of America. Unlike some other Welsh bands such as the Super Furry Animals, they can't actually speak Welsh - but if they could, what would they call the good ol' US of A?
4. The German rock band Silbermond are continuing the Eastern European leg of their tour in Hungary, and if they're lucky, they'll get to try some of that delicious Dobostorte while they're over there. If frontwoman Stefanie Kloss was to say in German, "I'm going to Hungary", she'd say, "Ich fahre nach..."
5. This is a slightly trickier one. The Senegalese singer, Youssou N'Dour, is touring France. As well as speaking French, he also speaks Wolof, a language spoken in Senegal, and one of the languages in which he sang on '7 Seconds' with Neneh Cherry. What is the Wolof word for France?
6. The Israeli rapper Subliminal is playing a couple of dates in Spain. One of Subliminal's most well-known songs is 'Hafinali', which - like most of his other material - is entirely in Hebrew. What is the Hebrew name for Spain?
7. Bjork is touring Scandinavia as the final leg of her world tour. Before her homecoming gig in her native Island (Iceland), she's got a date in Stockholm to play. Which of these Icelandic names means 'Sweden'? Be careful with this one.
8. The Bulgarian folk group Trio Bulgarka are touring the former Eastern bloc. One of the countries they're due to visit is the Czech Republic. Which of these words is the Bulgarian name for the Czech Republic? (Bear in mind that this is transliterated from Cyrillic.)
9. The Lithuanian folk-rock band Atalyja are touring the UK. They're playing Scotland, England and Wales - or alternatively, Skotija, Anglija and what?
10. Lastly, a slightly different question. My Chemical Romance are embarking on a tour of Albania. Gerard Way decides to try out a bit of Albanian he's picked up, and says 'Hello Albania!' when the band are playing Tirana. 'Hello' is 'tungjatjeta' in Albanian, but what is 'Albania' in Albanian?
Source: Author Kankurette
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.