Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. You're innocently and carefully driving down the road when suddenly a demented deer recklessly leaps from behind a bush onto the roadway just in front of your car. There is a sickening crunch, then blackness...About how many deer collide with hapless US drivers yearly?
2. The paramedics extract your lifeless body from the mangled remains of your automobile. Approximately how many vital, productive human beings lose their lives yearly in these senseless encounters with errant deer?
3. Months later your grieving family receives the cold comfort of a check from the insurance company for your "deerly" demolished vehicle. What is the total estimated yearly dollar cost for deer inflicted vehicular damage?
4. There are approximately 1000 times as many deer-related human deaths each decade as humans killed by mountain lions.
5. In 2002, when an unfortunate man who was hunting coyotes was gored in an unprovoked deer attack, which of the following excuses did deer apologists use?
6. A survey in New Jersey found that 25% of farmers had to abandon parcels of tillable land because of deer depredations while 36% of farmers had to plant other than their preferred crops because of marauding white-tails.
7. A herd of 75 elk migrated to a California farmer's property, knocking down a barbed wire fence and allowing his cattle to escape before consuming his mature but unharvested barley crop.
8. In 1959, four deer were introduced on the Hawaiian Island of Maui. Their population is now in the 1000s and they cause at least $100,000 of damage yearly. Their population doubles every how many years?
9. According to a University of Maryland study, the estimated cost of deer damage to homeowners in metropolitan areas throughout the USA would be less than $200,000,000.
10. Each year deer kill more people than tornadoes, end the lives of more people than killer bees and rack up economic damages totaling more than twice the educational budget of the state of South Dakota.
Source: Author uglybird
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.