Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The last record of this wild cow's living existence was in 1627 in Poland. What was it called?
2. Perhaps one of the most well-known extinct species in recent history: They were discovered on the island of Mauritius in 1598, and before the year 1700 came along, they were extinct. What species?
3. Discovered in 1741, it only took 27 years for this species of marine mammal to be wiped out. What was its name?
4. Records of this bird being hunted precede the 8th century. Even so, the species managed to survive until the mid-19th century. The last living pair of birds were strangled to death on 3rd July 1844 on an island near Iceland.
5. This breed of duck, known for its striking black and white colouring, also carried the nickname 'skunk duck'. Believed to be the first bird to become extinct in North America, it was named for a region of Canada where it was believed to nest. What was the name of this duck, last seen in 1878?
6. This species has been extinct since 1883. They were a unique subspecies of zebra, where only the front portion of the animal had the distinctive zebra stripes, while the rear parts were a plain brown. What species?
7. One early Virginian settler wrote, "There are wild pigeons in winter beyond number or imagination, myself have seen three or four hours together flocks in the air, so thick that even have they shadowed the sky from us." The last one died in captivity in 1914. What was the name of the pigeon species?
8. Also known as the thylacine, this marsupial carnivore was first discovered in 1803. By 1918, there were no more sightings of thylacine in the wild, and the last one died in captivity in 1936. By what other name was it known?
9. The last reliable proof of the existence of the Caspian tiger, one of the largest cats to have existed, was in the early 1970s.
10. In the year 2006, a survey was conducted to find China's freshwater river dolphin. When they failed to find one, they declared the species functionally extinct. What is its name?
Source: Author reedy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.