Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Fastest of all snakes; when threatened can bite repeatedly with a venomous blend of neuro- and cardiotoxins. Without antivenom, the fatality rate is nearly 100%.
2. Most poisonous vertebrate on the planet; its batrachotoxin is so potent, only two micrograms can kill an adult human. And all you have to do is touch it.
3. Aggressive mammal with large, thick horns; nicknamed 'the black death' for the number of human fatalities every year. When threatened, will charge at anything, including large predators.
4. Desert-dwelling arachnid; its venom is a powerful mix of neurotoxins that, even if it likely won't kill a *healthy* adult human, will be extraordinarily painful.
5. Aggressive and easily-provoked reptile; can grow up to 23 feet in length and weigh more than a ton. And it has a bite delivering 3,700 pounds per square inch (psi) of pressure.
6. Most venomous marine animal in the world; has thousands of nematocysts containing toxins that attack the heart, nervous system, and skin cells.
7. Jungle-dwelling arachnid; its toxin is 20 times as powerful as its hourglass-adorned cousins. The genus 'phoneutria' translates as 'murderess'.
8. Largest lizard in the world; they have a powerful bite with a venom that delivers toxins that inhibit blood clotting. If they don't kill you outright, you can still bleed to death.
9. Blood-sucking disease carrier; primary vectors of malaria, Chikungunya, encephalitis, elephantiasis, yellow and dengue fevers, and West Nile and Zika viruses. Responsible for more than 700,000 deaths each year.
10. World's most venomous snake; its potent venom is specially adapted to kill warm-blooded species. The toxin hinders breathing, causes haemorrhaging in blood vessels and tissues, and paralyzes and damages muscles, leading to respiratory paralysis.
Source: Author reedy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor rossian
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.