Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The MEDITERRANEAN SEA was very important to the ancient Romans. In fact, at one time they controlled all of the land that touched the sea. Consequently, they called the Mediterranean "____ Nostrum". Can you fill in the blank?
2. The ancient Carthaginians used the MEDITERRANEAN SEA to carry out their main type of business. With which business, also known as commerce, were they closely associated?
3. The ancient Egyptians built a canal, called Necho's Canal, to connect the MEDITERRANEAN SEA with which other sea?
4. What three-letter geography term describes how the MEDITERRANEAN SEA is related to the Atlantic Ocean, as well as how the Ionian Sea is related to the Mediterranean Sea?
5. The MEDITERRANEAN SEA is not as affected by by these phenomena that are caused by the interaction of the gravitational pull of the sun and the moon as other seas on the globe. What is the name of the phenomenon described?
6. Name the small fish, also called a pilchard, that might have been named for the second largest island in the MEDITERRANEAN SEA.
7. An active volcano sits on the island of Sicily in the MEDITERRANEAN SEA. What is its name?
8. What continent can be found on the eastern edge of the MEDITERRANEAN SEA?
9. The MEDITERRANEAN SEA can create a Mediterranean climate in the countries on which it borders. What characteristic of winter, a type of precipitation, is found in a Mediterranean climate?
10. The country of Lebanon borders the MEDITERRANEAN SEA. What word is used to describe its type of government after World War I?
Source: Author ponycargirl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor spanishliz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.