Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. THE PREMISE: The cows shown at the Quizzyland County Fair, held this year in the USA, included many fine animals. Rosie and three other bovine beauties, each a different breed, took top prizes. Harried Helga agreed to judge them this year, but at the awards ceremony, the pigs in the neighboring tent broke loose and trampled her notes! Can you help the prize committee sort out the mess?
Prizes - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Farmers - Al, Cal, Hal, Sal
Cows' breeds - Angus, Guernsey, Hereford, Shorthorn
Cows' names - Rosie, Daisy, Lilac, Petunia
THE CLUES, from Helga's notes:
A - Sal does not own Lilac.
B - Sal's cow placed higher than Daisy but lower than the Guernsey.
C - The Guernsey is not Petunia.
D - Al's cow placed one rank higher than Hal's.
E - The Hereford placed higher than Al's cow.
F - Petunia placed either first or last.
G - Hal does not own the Angus.
Match each prize with correct farmer and his cow, and her breed. ~ N.B. You may find it easier to answer the questions in order, as some questions draw on information learned in prior questions. Use pencil & paper to make a grid or chart to keep track of clues and conclusions. ~
Question 1 -
Let's make sure you understand THE CLUES. Which of these rankings is TRUE, according to THE CLUES? (Read ">" as "placed higher than".)
2. Enough warm-up; let's fill in the gaps. Which comely cow does Farmer Sal own?
3. Which farmer's cow came in first?
4. Which farmer owned the charming cow who placed last (fourth)?
5. Which farmer owns the third-placed bovine beauty?
6. So now tell me, by elimination, whose captivating cow captured second?
7. Now that we've put the farmers with each prize, we need to sort out the cows!
Which ribbon did ravishing Rosie win?*
*(FYI: The Quizzyland County Fair is using USA colors this year. It's not important to figuring out the puzzle, but only added for interest.)
8. Which bewitching breed of cow fetched first prize?
9. Does Farmer Cal own the gorgeous Guernsey?
10. Which farmer brought the handsome Hereford to the fair?
11. Who owns the attractive Angus?
12. Let's put ribbons on the rest of the contestants! Clue F tells us Petunia placed either first or last (fourth). So which is it?
13. What breed is pretty Petunia?
(Hint: Solve questions 2-4, 9, 10, and 12 first. If you're stumped, skip on. You can solve the remaining questions without this one.)
14. Which beauteous bovine brought home third prize?
15. Lastly, which prize did lovely Lilac land?
Source: Author gracious1
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.