Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Described in some reference sources as "one of the strong Welsh names". As a surname it means "eminent" and became popular during the early Middle Ages in honour of a great tenth century law giving Welsh king.
2. Probably derived from the name for an early inhabitant of Worcester this surname later featured prominently in English Literature novels throughout the 1930s and 1940s.
3. A surname that has origins in the early medieval crafts. It would have been the occupational name for someone who laid wooden tiles on a roof.
4. This surname also became a first or forename but originated from an early nickname for someone with fair hair or more properly "a lock of fair hair".
5. Unfortunately, in very recent times, this surname has become notorious in the UK. It originated, however, as an occupational name for a shepherd.
6. Rather curiously this surname originated as a nickname for a mild mannered and affectionate person.
7. This surname was closely linked with a well respected former Soccer Manager in the UK. This manager although employed in England at the timem was from another European country. His surname however was originally an English surname derived from an occupational name for a brothel keeper.
8. Another occupational name. This surname described a person whose function was to drive a cart to take away and dump animal waste products.
9. This surname originated as a nickname for a person of small stature but referring to a bird rather than to an animal.
10. This surname derives from the early nickname for a man of effeminate appearance.
Source: Author bracklaman
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor spanishliz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.