FREE! Click here to Join FunTrivia. Thousands of games, quizzes, and lots more!
Quiz about Dwarfism  Get Your Facts Straight
Quiz about Dwarfism  Get Your Facts Straight

Dwarfism - Get Your Facts Straight Quiz


Facts about achondroplasia, a form of dwarfism. How well do you know the difference between the truths and misconceptions in the lives of Little People?

A multiple-choice quiz by myrjac. Estimated time: 4 mins.
  1. Home
  2. »
  3. Quizzes
  4. »
  5. General Knowledge Trivia
  6. »
  7. Thematic Fun
  8. »
  9. Thematic People

Author
myrjac
Time
4 mins
Type
Multiple Choice
Quiz #
232,933
Updated
Dec 03 21
# Qns
10
Difficulty
Average
Avg Score
6 / 10
Plays
786
Last 3 plays: Guest 66 (4/10), Guest 99 (8/10), Guest 172 (6/10).
- -
Question 1 of 10
1. Which of the following terms is not acceptable when referring to people with dwarfism? Hint


Question 2 of 10
2. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism. It occurs in about once in every 25,000 births. What actor, with achondroplasia, starred in the film "The Station Agent"? Hint


Question 3 of 10
3. People born with achondroplasia will need special equipment to be able to walk, speak, and hear.


Question 4 of 10
4. What is the average expected height of a male with achondroplasia? Hint


Question 5 of 10
5. The parents of most infants born with achondroplasia are also carrying the gene for achondroplasia.


Question 6 of 10
6. The chances of a person with achondroplasia having a child with achondroplasia if the the other parent also has achondroplasia is: Hint


Question 7 of 10
7. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of achondroplasia? Hint


Question 8 of 10
8. The support organization for people with dwarfism is called: Hint


Question 9 of 10
9. If growth hormones are administered to children with achondroplasia, they may reach average human height.


Question 10 of 10
10. The average life expectancy of a person with achondroplasia is: Hint



(Optional) Create a Free FunTrivia ID to save the points you are about to earn:

arrow Select a User ID:
arrow Choose a Password:
arrow Your Email:




Most Recent Scores
Feb 02 2024 : Guest 66: 4/10
Jan 23 2024 : Guest 99: 8/10
Jan 20 2024 : Guest 172: 6/10
Jan 18 2024 : Guest 204: 10/10
Jan 18 2024 : Guest 107: 3/10
Jan 11 2024 : Guest 50: 7/10
Jan 01 2024 : james1947: 10/10

Score Distribution

quiz
Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which of the following terms is not acceptable when referring to people with dwarfism?

Answer: Midget

The term midget is considered very offensive by many people with dwarfism. Although dwarf and little person are acceptable, it is preferable that a person with dwarfism be addressed by his/her name.
2. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism. It occurs in about once in every 25,000 births. What actor, with achondroplasia, starred in the film "The Station Agent"?

Answer: Peter Dinklage

All of the actors listed above have achondroplasia. Josh Ryan Evens, who passed away in 2003, played Timmy in the soap "Passions". Danny Woodburn is best known for his regularly occurring role on "Seinfeld", and Jason Acuna is better known as "Wee-Man" of MTV fame.
3. People born with achondroplasia will need special equipment to be able to walk, speak, and hear.

Answer: False

The only expected adaptive needs for an adult with achondroplasia are step stools and appliances that allow them further reach. Children sometimes need tubes placed in their ears to assist with drainage.
4. What is the average expected height of a male with achondroplasia?

Answer: 4 feet 4 inches

The average height for a female with achondroplasia is 4 feet. Researchers have studied the use of growth hormone in people with achondroplasia. They found that it does increase height by a couple inches when given during childhood, however, they do not believe that it affects the overall adult height.

The only treatment to increase bone growth for people with achondroplasia is called "Extended Limb Lengthening". As much as 12 inches can be added to the bone length with this procedure. The procedure, which takes about a year per limb, is performed on the thighs, lower legs, upper arms, lower arms.

The procedure is controversial among the dwarfism community. There are conflicting opinions about long term orthopedic health of individuals who have had the procedure. Parents of children with achondroplasia and adults considering extended limb lengthening are encouraged to learn about the social and physical effects of limb lengthening.
5. The parents of most infants born with achondroplasia are also carrying the gene for achondroplasia.

Answer: False

Achondroplasia is inherited in automsomal dominant manner. However, 80% of the cases of achondroplasia are caused by a new mutation. Neither parent has any history of achondroplasia. Once a person has the gene for achondroplasia they have a 50% chance of passing that gene on to their children. If their child is born without achondroplasia, then there no greater chance of achondroplasia reoccurring that in the general population.
6. The chances of a person with achondroplasia having a child with achondroplasia if the the other parent also has achondroplasia is:

Answer: 50%

If a person with achondroplasia has children with another person with achondroplasia, their chances of having a child with achondroplasia is 50%. They have a 25% chance of having a child of average height, and a 25% chance that the child will inherit the achondroplasia gene from both parents. This double dominant inheritance is not compatible with life.
7. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of achondroplasia?

Answer: Lower IQ

People with achondroplasia have "normal" intelligence. Achondroplasia affects the growth of the long bones in the body. It greatly decreases the growth in areas that have more cartilage. Since the nose is formed with cartilage, it is another body part that usually remains small.
8. The support organization for people with dwarfism is called:

Answer: Little People of America

Little People of America is a large organization that provides resources and information for people and families affected by dwarfism. They disseminate medical information, advocacy support, and provide local, regional and national gatherings for people with dwarfism.

These gatherings provide a rare time for little people to play sports, socialize, and be around many others with dwarfism.
9. If growth hormones are administered to children with achondroplasia, they may reach average human height.

Answer: False

People with achondroplasia usually produce adequate growth hormone. The change on the FGFR-3 gene, which causes achondroplasia, does not allow growth hormone to work properly. At this time, extended limb lengthening is the only procedure that would allow a person with achondroplasia to achieve average or close to average height.

This procedure is controversial among some people with dwarfism.
10. The average life expectancy of a person with achondroplasia is:

Answer: the same as people of average height

People with achondroplasia are at the same risk for illness as that of the general population. Doctors encourage people with dwarfism to watch their weight. Extra stress on the smaller joints can cause orthopedic damage.
Source: Author myrjac

This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor LeoDaVinci before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.
2/22/2024, Copyright 2024 FunTrivia, Inc. - Report an Error / Contact Us