Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Administratively, the Azores have three capital cities. Which of the following is not one of the capital cities of the Azores?
2. Within the Azores there are nine major islands and eight smaller islands. What is the collective name for the eight smaller islands?
3. Along with the Azores, what other archipelago is considered an Autonomous Region of Portugal?
4. Which world leader sent a fleet to the Azores in 1583 to quell an uprising that was trying to establish a pretender to the Portuguese throne?
5. What name was given to the Portuguese Civil War fought from 1828 to 1834 between the liberals and the absolutists that established Terceira Island as the new government headquarters?
6. What long-time Portuguese dictator leased bases on the Azores to the Allied Forces from 1943 to 1945?
7. What mountain in the Azores contains the highest point in all of Portugal?
8. The nine major islands of the Azores are divided into three main groups. Which of the following is NOT one of the three groups?
9. What bird of prey, the symbol of the Azores, is pictured near the center of the flag of the Azores?
10. The motto of the Azores "Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos" can be found on the Coat of Arms. What does this phrase translate to in English?
Source: Author Triviaballer
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Exit10
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.