Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The name of the island country of Kiribati is pronounced as if the final 'ti' were an s, as is standard in the local language. This is an adaptation of the former name for which part of the country?
2. Now that you know how to pronounce its name, can you determine in which ocean the island nation of Kiribati can be found?
3. Kiribati is composed primarily of three island groups. Which of these is NOT one of them?
4. In 1995, Kiribati decreed that the International Date Line needed an extra zig, so that the entire country could be in the same day. As a result, one of its islands became one of the easternmost pieces of land on the western side of the Date Line. Which island has this honor?
5. Which of the following facts about Kiribati is true?
6. The flag of Kiribati shows a sun rising over wavy blue and white lines that represent the islands in the ocean. What kind of large seabird is also shown, representing the culture of the land?
7. At the start of the 21st century, Kiribati was one of the poorest and least-developed nations in the world. Its main export industry is copra. What is copra?
8. Kiritimati Island, also known as Christmas Island, has which of the following claims to fame?
9. Banaba, previously called Ocean Island, was almost completely mined out before Kiribati gained independence. What resource was virtually exhausted during the colonial era?
10. The country of Kiribati is under threat from global warming. The island of Banaba is the least likely to be inundated, as it contains the country's highest point. At the start of the 21st century, approximately how high above sea level was this highest point?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.