Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The plagiarism saga starts with the singer contacting "a friend in Minsk". Minsk, whose main post office is shown here, is the capital city of which landlocked country, formerly known by the acronym BSSR when it was a member of the USSR?
2. "I have a friend in Minsk, who has a friend in Pinsk". The city of Pinsk, about 300 km from Minsk, is situated on the Pina River, which is a tributary of the Pripyat River. This monument shows an armoured cutter of a type that played a significant role in the defense of the region against a German invasion during which war?
3. "I have a friend in Minsk, who has a friend in Pinsk, whose friend in Omsk" is living a mere 3800 km away, in the southwest part of a region which is crossed by a famous train. In which geographical region of Russia does this friend of a friend of a friend reside?
4. "I have a friend in Minsk, who has a friend in Pinsk, whose friend in Omsk has friend in Tomsk", a mere 900 km to the east. Tomsk is yet another city which was founded as a fort to house Cossacks barracked in the region for its defense. On what river does the city stand?
5. "I have a friend in Minsk, who has a friend in Pinsk, whose friend in Omsk has friend in Tomsk, with friend in Akmolinsk", 1300 km to the southeast. If Tom Lehrer were writing his song in the 21st century, he would have to use another name for Akmolinsk, as it has changed its name several times, and became the capital of Kazakhstan in 1997. What city would this next friend call home in the first decade of the 21st century?
6. "His friend in Alexandrovsk" may be difficult to locate, as there are a number of cities that have used that name at one time or another. Which of these four now uses that name?
7. "His friend in Alexandrovsk has friend in Petropavlovsk", whose house could have a stunning view of the Avachinsky volcano, shown here. What is the name of the peninsula in far eastern Russia where it is located?
8. "His friend in Alexandrovsk has friend in Petropavlovsk, whose friend somehow is solving now the problem in Dnepropetrovsk." The request has travelled from the far east of Russia to a city in Ukraine, approximately 7500 km away by plane. Dnepropetrovsk is an industrial city located on the banks of what river?
9. "And when his work is done - ha ha! - begins the fun. From Dnepropetrovsk to Petropavlovsk, by way of Iliysk", clearly passing by way of a slightly different set of contacts, the message starts its return journey. Iliysk is actually not a city, it is a region along the banks of the Ili River, which flows into Lake Balkhash. It is found in the Almaty province of what country?
10. From Dnepropetrovsk to Petropavlovsk, by way of Iliysk and Novorossiysk, to Alexandrovsk to Akmolinsk to Tomsk to Omsk to Pinsk to Minsk, to me the news will run." We've already visited most of these sites, but Novorossiysk is a new one, located in Krasnodar Krai, Russia. On what major body of water is it located?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.