Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first battle of the Second Punic War (on Roman territory) was at the Ticinus. This happened in which year?
2. At the Battle of the Trebia, Hannibal's army defeated a significantly larger Roman army under the command of whom?
3. At the Trebia, around 10,000 Romans, including Sempronius, were able to escape from the slaughter and live to fight another day. How did most of them survive?
4. At the Battle of Lake Trasimene, the Carthaginians ambushed the Romans and completely destroyed them. But once the Romans were in the trap, someone had to close the entrance in which the Romans had come in through. Who were the soldiers in the Carthaginian Army that successfully closed the trap?
5. Before the Battle of Lake Trasimene, there were many assassination attempts on Hannibal by his own troops. How did he react?
6. The most notable battle of the war is the Battle of Cannae. Here, which Roman commander was humiliated by Hannibal?
7. The number of Roman dead given for the Battle of Cannae varies. Polybius says that around 70,000 Romans were killed, 10,000 were captured, and possibly 3,000 survived the battle. Who is probably the most notable man that died fighting with his men?
8. Although the Battle of Cannae is known for the overwhelming number of Roman deaths, there were also Carthaginian casualties, too. Which of the types of soldiers suffered the most casualties?
9. Hannibal's brother, Hasdrubal Barca, set out for Italy, but was decisively defeated by the Romans at Metaurus in 207 BC. He was killed in the battle. How was his body treated by the Romans?
10. What was the "grand finale" and the closing battle of the Second Punic War?
Source: Author jsjuno
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.