Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The city of Ninevah, which became the capital of the Assyrian empire during the reign of Sennacherib, was built on the banks of which river?
2. The ancient Assyrians were henothestic, meaning they worshipped many gods, but favored one over all the rest. Who was their patron diety?
3. The power of the Assyrians came in part by their use of iron weapons, which gave them superiority over the people they conquered. Which of their nearby neighbors taught them the secret of making iron?
4. The Assyrians built a highway in their empire which was called the Royal Road.
5. Occasionally the conquering Assyrians would allow the conquered king to keep his throne as long as tribute was paid. Which of the following was at one time an Assyrian vassal state?
6. The conquering Assyrians would normally employ this technique, whereby the defeated people would be moved to locations to work for the Assyrians. What is this called?
7. Which city, the capital of the Kingdom of Israel at the time, was under siege in approximately 722 B.C. by the Assyrian king, Sargon II, because of the refusal to pay tribute?
8. Why did the Assyrian king choose an heir apparent?
9. The warlike Assyrians amassed a library of over 20,000 clay tablets.
10. The Assyrians were destined to downfall because even though they had authority over the people they conquered, they did not have their respect. Which Mesopotamians conquered the Assyrians in the 600s B.C.?
Source: Author ponycargirl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.