Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. These retro sugar-coated boiled sweets have appeared in the jars of many a sweet shop over the years. Named for both their shape and their flavour, what kind of sweets are they?
2. Mint humbugs are a black and white striped boiled sweet, and one variety, pictured here, contains a chewy toffee centre. Which English football team are these stripy mints named after? (Hint: the team in question are nicknamed the Toffees.)
3. Liquorice is a popular flavouring for many British sweets, from the straw that came with packs of sherbet dip to liquorice allsorts. These black sweets, or 'cakes', are flavoured with liquorice. After which Yorkshire town are they named?
4. If you're a fan of Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' books, you'll recognise these coconut cookies. Not to be confused with a French meringue sweet, what are these sweets called?
5. As you can probably tell from the photo, these little critters are sweet edible mice. What kind of mice are they?
6. Fudge is a popular British sweet, and the south-western counties of Devon and Cornwall are known for their clotted cream fudge. Which Scottish sweet, pictured here, is similar to fudge but has a more brittle texture?
7. Roald Dahl fans might know this one. These sweets have a reputation for taking a very long time to suck, and are made up of layers of sugar, sometimes with a ball of bubble gum in the middle. Also known as jawbreakers, what sweets are these?
8. Which boiled sweet, pictured here, is a favourite at British seaside resorts, comes in many flavours and colours and sometimes has the name of a town written through it?
9. Toffee comes in many flavours and textures, sometimes chewy, sometimes crunchy. The type of toffee shown here is the same type used in Crunchie bars, and has many names. Which of these is NOT one of them?
10. Bubble gum is a sweet that's more associated with the USA, but it's pretty popular in the UK too. Which of these is a British bubble gum brand?
Source: Author Kankurette
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor jmorrow
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.