Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. So he hatched a plan to poison them with their favourite national dishes or drinks. Did he succeed? Let's find out. His Belgian Great Aunt Mathilde was taken to her bed following a surfeit of her favourite dish of Moules Frites. Apart from the huge dose of Arsenic (which is definitely not part of the recipe) what is this dish?
2. One down, another nine to dispose of before the title Grand Buffoonness is his. Cousin Velma of Vienna is known for her vast girth, due no doubt to her addiction to this particular Viennese chocolate cake. She took her last mouthful unaware it contained Curare. Called "- Torte" what is the missing word?
3. Uncle Umberto, from the Italian branch of the family, can't get enough of his favourite dessert-Zabaglione. Unfortunately for him, he found out too late that it contained Prussic Acid instead of wine. What wine should have been used?
4. Next he turned his attention to his English Uncle-James. His favourite dish was Stargazy Pie, but he got more than fish heads and tails - Antimony and Thallium were also liberally sprinkled inside the dish. An infamous poisoner from St.Albans would use these rare poisons to kill his stepmother and later, two work colleagues, just to see the effect! Who was this callous killer?
5. Next came Uncle Hamish from Fife, Scotland. He loved a nice bit of Haggis with tatties and neeps, washed down with a drop of the hard stuff. If tatties are potatoes, what ever are neeps?
6. He popped over to Dublin to see Aunt Bridget and took in some of the sights along Grafton St. He managed to slip a 'little something' into her restaurant meal of Scampi. What was her favourite dish?
7. Back across the Channel and a quick run down to Nice. There he found Uncle Arnaud in deep commune with La Fée Verte, or Green Fairy. Judging by the looks of him, he'd done a good job of killing himself off without any help from our anti-hero! What was he drinking? (It wasn't a famous dish washing liquid!)
8. Over he went to Switzerland to see Cousin Simone. Here he was able to feed her slices of her favourite cheese, Tete de Moine, (with a little soupçon of digitalis for added spice). This cheese, from the Jura region of Switzerland has to be served in a special way -how?
9. There remained just two more relatives, his older, twin brothers who understandably were keeping a low profile! He announced his own death and invited them to see him in his coffin, then eat a last meal in his memory. The menu started with hot Vichyssoise which immediately alerted them that something was wrong - why?
10. All of this rushing around wore poor Hugo out and he went down with a bad case of 'flu. Indulging in his favourite comfort food of tinned salmon and cucumber sandwiches, he fell prey to a particularly virulent poisoning from faulty canned food. What carried him off?
Source: Author skumma
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.