Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Adam shows his love for his stepmother, Alice, by leaving her small presents - flowers, a feather... Does she know that they come from Adam?
2. After Adam escapes from the chain gang, he telegraphs Charles for money to come home. The telegraph operator asks Charles to give him a question that no one but Adam could answer, to ensure that the money is not going to an imposter. What question does Charles ask?
3. In those days before blood testing and prenatal vitamins, it was not uncommon for pregnant women to crave odd and unnatural foods - "some said for filth, and it was set down to the Eve nature, still under penance for original sin." What does Cathy crave while she is pregnant?
4. Cathy has no intention of staying in the marriage; she is only waiting for the trap of her pregnancy to be sprung. Does Cathy warn Adam that she will not be staying with him?
5. Where is Lee, when Cathy shoots Adam and leaves him?
6. What does Adam first tell the deputy happened to his shoulder?
7. What are the twins wearing, on their naming day?
8. After Samuel's funeral, Adam visits Cathy (now Kate) in Salinas. When he gets back to King City, where does he go first?
9. To me, the most memorable part of this memorable book is the story of Lee's birth. His parents (his "dear parents") have a plan, to run away from the work camp and have the baby in a burrow up in the mountains. What happens to ruin their plans?
10. Adam decides to move himself and the boys into Salinas. Whose house does he buy?
11. After the move to Salinas, Lee finally gets his chance, to move to San Francisco and start his bookstore. How long is he gone?
12. How does Cal find out about Cathy?
13. When Cal is arrested, what had he been doing?
14. What is Kate's response to Ethel's blackmail attempt?
15. What happens when Aron comes home, the night he passed his tests?
Source: Author agony
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor MotherGoose
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.