Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. At the start of the book Bilbo is visited by several Dwarves and Gandalf. Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf arrive with the last group of 'visitors'. How many Dwarves came with Thorin and Gandalf?
2. During the 'meeting' Bilbo says that he will try to do what the Dwarves want him to do even if he has to fight certain creatures in the Last Desert. What creatures did Bilbo name?
3. 13 Dwarves had assembled. But they needed a 14th man for good luck (13 is a unlucky number after all) and as a burglar. Who chose Bilbo to be the 14th member?
4. Gandalf spreads out a map which they all take a look at. It contains a map of the Mountain and the surroundings. Whose map had this been originally?
5. What was the target of the Dwarves and their undertaking?
6. On their journey eastwards, in the Trollshaws, the company runs into three Trolls and is captured, save for Gandalf. What was not the name of one of these Trolls?
7. After being set free by Gandalf the companions look for the Troll's hole. They found the cave but it was locked by a stone-door. Who found the key to open it?
8. Inside the Trollcave Thorin and Gandalf each take a great sword while Bilbo takes a long knife. Later it would turn out that these blades were made by Elves, High Elves of the West. Who had been the previous owner of the sword that Gandalf had taken?
9. After their encounter with the Trolls they continue eastward and reach the Last Homely House. What is the location of this dwelling?
10. Elrond discovers the moon-letters, runes that cannot be seen but in full moonlight. They reveal a secret entrance into the Lonely Mountain. They say that the keyhole to this door will only be visible on Durin's Day. Thorin then remarks that Durin was the founder of his house. What was this house of Dwarves called?
11. The company moves on through the Misty Mountains but takes shelter from the rain and stone-giants in a cave. They all go to sleep. In the night they are attacked by Goblins and taken captive, all but one. Who eluded capture?
12. The company is led to the Great Goblin, apparently the leader of the Orcs (who are called Goblins in this book) in this part of the Misty Mountains. He is enraged when he recognises Thorin's sword. But, before he can harm Thorin, he is slain by Gandalf. The Orcs flee and the company quickly leaves. Bilbo is carried, primarily by which dwarf?
13. Bilbo is left alone by accident. He finds himself in the dark and tries to find his friends. What does he discover on the floor of the caves?
14. Bilbo encounters Gollum with whom he engages in a riddle game. Who asks the first riddle?
15. The company gets attacked by Orcs and Wargs that hunted them after their escape. They fled up some trees and were swiftly surrounded. The Orcs decided to lay fire below the trees and burn them down, but the Great Eagles of the Misty Mountains had heard the howling of the Wargs and the crying of Orcs. The Great Eagle himself led a host of his Eagles to investigate. They drove away the Orcs and Wargs and rescued the company from the trees. Whom did the Lord of the Eagles himself rescue?
16. The Company reaches the House of Beorn and with some clever work of Gandalf he invited them into his home. Beorn was a shapeshifter. His 'normal' appearance was that of a man. Into which animal could he change?
17. Beorn lends some ponies to the company to travel to the edge of Mirkwood. They arrive with little trouble and the ponies are sent back. Gandalf must take his leave from the company now and they go into the Forest of Mirkwood alone. Had Beorn followed the company to Mirkwood?
18. What kind of people do the Dwarves meet after their escape from the Spiders?
19. After escaping the Wood-Elves they end up in Lake-Town where they receive help and head towards Erebor. They proceed to the Ravenhill where the door is located. At the mountain it is Bilbo who finally discovers the keyhole to the side door. A thrush had given him the final hint. What was this thrush doing?
20. Bilbo manages to sneak into the Mountain and steal a cup of gold. Smaug wakes up soon after, and is enraged. He flies out and hunts for the thieves but the company takes shelter inside the Mountain. Bilbo later returns and engages in conversation with Smaug. He calls Smaug several names. Which one is not one of them (in the book)?
21. Smaug attacks Lake-Town after Bilbo escapes. Smaug is defeated by Bard the Bowman, but Lake-Town is destroyed. Word of this reaches the Elven King and he comes to the aid of the Men of the Lake. The ravens at the Lonely Mountain were friends of the Dwarves and they could speak. They observed the events and informed Thorin. The Raven speaking to Thorin was the son of the Chief of the Ravens in Thrór's time. What was the name of this raven's father (who had lived in Thrór's time)?
22. Men and Elves reach the Mountain but are surprised to find the Dwarves alive. They demand a share of the gold in payment for their aid and the destruction of Lake-Town. Thorin refuses and the Mountain gets besieged. But Bilbo had found something very dear to Thorin and he sneaks out in the middle of the night delivering it to Bard to bargain with Thorin. What was this treasure?
23. Out of the Iron Hills arrives Dáin II Ironfoot with 500 Dwarven Warriors. Bard does not want to let them pass to the Mountain and barricades the road. Suddenly, Orcs and Wargs appear ready for battle. The Dwarves join the Men and Elves and a battle is about to begin. What was this battle called?
24. The Men, Elves and Dwarves finally had the victory, but Thorin had been mortally wounded and died after seeing Bilbo one last time, making peace with him. But Smaug was gone and the Dwarves would reclaim Erebor. Dáin II Ironfoot became King under the Mountain.
25. Bilbo finally returned home. Many years later he was visited by Balin. But Balin came not alone. Who came also with him?
Source: Author Fogeltje
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.