Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. "Scenes of Bohemian Life" was the novel which inspired the opera. Name the author of this work.
2. The setting for "La Boheme" is Paris in the 1830's. Specifically, which area, or district, of Paris does it take place in?
3. In Act I, we meet the bohemians: Marcello, the painter; Schaunard, the musician; Colline, the philosopher; and the hero of the opera, Rodolfo. What is Rodolfo's occupation?
4. The bohemians live a poverty-stricken life in a dilapidated garret. In the first act they are freezing. What do they use as kindling in order to warm themselves?
5. Not surprisingly, the rent on the garret is overdue. How do the bohemians handle the landlord's request for payment?
6. Next we meet the heroine of the opera, Mimi, a poor neighbor whom Rodolfo has never met before. She has come to the bohemians' garret for what reason?
7. Rodolfo falls in love with Mimi instantly. After first touching her hand he sings to her passionately of his life and his dreams and the new inspiration he has found in her eyes. What is this name of this aria?
8. Next we get to learn from Mimi about her life in the aria "Mi chiamano Mimi." She reveals that Mimi is not her real name. What is her real name?
9. "La Boheme" is so popular that it has inspired an updated rock version written by Jonathan Larson. What is the name of this long running Broadway hit?
10. In the second act, which cafe do Rodolfo and Mimi go to on their first date?
11. True or false: While on their date, Rodolfo buys Mimi a muff for her hands.
12. We next meet Musetta, the former girlfriend of Marcello. Who is she with when she enters?
13. Musetta is a beautiful flirt. She still loves Marcello, however. In order to gain his attention, what does she sing?
14. Which composer friend of Puccini's also wrote a version of "La Boheme"?
15. Where does the third act of the opera take place?
16. True or false: Rodolfo tells Marcello that the reason he and Mimi argue is because of money.
17. What then relatively-unknown conductor led the opera's premiere?
18. Act IV takes place back in the garret. Musetta brings in Mimi, who is mortally ill. What illness does Mimi have?
19. Colline bids farewell to what in his aria "Vecchia zimarra"?
20. What is the name of the director of the Broadway production of "La Boheme", which premiered in December, 2002?
Source: Author fdgla
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bullymom
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.