Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Born in Dublin to an aristocratic family in 1769, Wellington attended private schools and Eton College as boy. How could his academic progress be described?
2. Wellington's next move, on the influence of his family, was to become a commissioned junior officer in the army. How could his achievements for the first couple of years in this field be described?
3. Let's dwell momentarily on Wellington's appearance. A portrait painter of the future general in his glory informed Wellington that he had which shaped head?
4. In 1791, Wellington met and fell in love with one Kitty Pakenham, but his proposal of marriage was turn down by her brother. Comically so, how did Wellington react?
5. By the time he was thirty, and now a full Colonel posted to India, how did Wellington rather drastically initially sort out discipline issues with his men?
6. In 1805 Wellington requested a temporary return to England to recuperate. Unfortunately, without first visiting Kitty, he was then given permission to marry her. How did he describe her to his brother after their reunion?
7. The Duke of Wellington and his Kitty were married from 1806 until her death in 1831. They were very happy together.
8. During Wellington's time in government, he once challenged another parliamentarian to a duel. Of which spiritual offence had his colleague accused him?
9. Wellington did not believe in displaying emotion in public, but unexpectedly did so during the Battle of Salamanca in 1812 after spotting a weakness in the French lines while he was eating. What did he do then?
10. Following Wellington's death, his body was taken to London by train and he was given a state funeral. This was ironic because Wellington hated train travel.
Source: Author Creedy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.