Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What American revolutionary reminds us that "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"?
2. What Argentine Marxist, closely associated with the Cuban Revolution, summed his philosophy by stating "the revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall"?
3. What dystopian 20th century writer expressed this bleak pronouncement on the value of challenging the authorities "power is not a means, it is the end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship"?
4. Whose 19th century economic and political cry of "Workingmen of all countries, unite!" inspired radical socio-political change in much of the world?
5. What 16th Century Italian astronomer, often called the "father of modern science", expressed his frustration over the constraints of convention when he said "it vexes me when they would constrain science by the authority of the Scriptures, and yet do not consider themselves bound to answer reason and experiment"?
6. What British suffragette urged her followers to "trust in God - she will provide"?
7. What American comedian whose routine entitled "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television" changed the boundaries of governmental control of "obscene" speech and also said "the reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept"?
8. What German-American, winner of the 1921 Nobel Prize for Physics, showed his willingness to challenge the status quo when he exclaimed "unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth"?
9. What French-Algerian Nobel Prize winning author of "The Rebel" and The Myth of Sisyphus" rejected the limitations of Cold War politics by stating "the only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion"?
10. What 20th century leader of India's nationalist movement, committed to self-sacrifice and nonviolent civil disobedience, is famous for noting "you must be the change you wish to see in the world"?
Source: Author adam36
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.