Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. She was the first and favourite wife of the Russian Tsar, Ivan the Terrible. It is widely believed that she had a calming influence on Ivan's severe mood swings and that her death turned him into a monster. Who was she?
2. Tsar's second wife was a Circassian princess, the daughter of Muslim prince Temrjuk of Kabardia. Ivan was so impressed by Maria's beauty that he decided to marry her at once though she was not a Christian. Who was she?
3. The third wife of Ivan the Terrible was chosen as well as two previous ones for her astonishing beauty, having taken part in the first beauty contest in Russia. A few days after her triumph, she fell ill. Despite her poor condition she was married to Ivan and died a few days later. Who was she?
4. Tsar Ivan IV of Russia married his fourth wife, the daughter of a courtesan, without asking the Church's blessing. After two years of marriage, Ivan was tired of her and decided to divorce. The poor girl was sent to a monastery. Who was she?
5. The fifth wife of Ivan the Terrible married Ivan without the blessing of the Ecclesiastical Council of the Russian Orthodox Church. The date of her death is uncertain and the circumstances are mysterious, but are described as violent. Who was she?
6. The sixth wife of Ivan the Terrible was not a virgin, being a widow of a prince serving in the Livonian War. Ivan considered her beautiful, kind and gentle, but a few months after their marriage he discovered that she had a lover. Who was she?
7. The Tsar's seventh wife was known to be a descendant of the noble Russian family of Prince Yuri I Dolgoruki, Prince of Kiev, Rostov and Suzdal. Ivan married her due to her royal status. Who was she?
8. The eighth and last wife of Ivan the Terrible bore him a son, Dmitry, whose death is one of the greatest mysteries of Russia. After the Tsar's death she, her son and her brothers were sent into exile. The Tsarina was made a nun in a monastery after being accused of negligence towards her own child. Who was she?
9. The mother of Ivan the Terrible was the second wife of Grand Prince Vasili III and regent of Russia for five years. The Tsarina conducted a currency reform, which resulted in introduction of a unified monetary system in the state. Who was she?
10. She could have became his wife, but she declined this opportunity as well as many others. She was the last representative of Tudor dynasty. Who was she?
Source: Author Bunny1981
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.