Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In which decade was the idea of a pan-European football tournament first proposed?
2. The competition was fundamentally flawed in its early years, with only four teams featuring in the inaugural edition of the competition in 1960. Which of these nations featured in the finals of the 1960 event?
3. Which of these statements about the 1964 European Championship is *NOT* true?
4. Which of these firsts was *NOT* introduced to the Euros for the 1968 edition?
5. The 1972 final saw West Germany thrash the Soviet Union 3-0 to win the competition for the first time. Who was the only player not representing one of the two finalists who was named in the UEFA Team of the Tournament?
6. Which of these rather strange statements about Euro 1976 is true?
7. Euro 1980 saw West Germany win the championship for a second time, defeating Belgium 2-1 in the final. German forward Klaus Allofs was also the Golden Boot winner, scoring all of his three tournament goals in the same game during the group stage. Against which familiar foe did Allofs score his hat-trick?
8. Euro 1984 is almost universally recognised as Michel Platini's tournament, after the French superstar dominated from start to finish with an incredible nine goals in just five games. After Platini, who was France's top scorer?
9. Euro 1988 is now largely remembered for the logic-defying volley scored by Netherlands forward Marco van Basten in the final. While everyone may remember the goal, who provided the assist?
10. Euro 1992 created one of the all-time great fairytale stories in footballing history as Denmark went from failing to qualify for the competition to winning the entire tournament. How many days before the tournament began did the Danes discover that they would indeed be playing at Euro 92?
11. A lot changed in the world of football between Euro 1992 and Euro 1996. Which of these innovative changes arrived in football first?
12. Euro 1996 saw Germany take on the Czech Republic in the final in what was a re-match of sorts of the 1976 final. Which of these statements in regard to the 1996 final is *NOT* true?
13. Which two nations made their European Championship finals debuts at Euro 2000?
14. Which strange occurrence happened at Euro 2004?
15. The final of Euro 2008 saw Spain win their second title, defeating Germany 1-0. This was the 13th European Championship final; how many of those 13 finals had been won by a one goal margin? (finals that were won by one goal in extra time count)
16. Euro 2012 witnessed a strange phenomenon of six different players finishing the tournament as top scorer. Half of those players had which first name?
17. 2016 was the first Euros to see 24 teams in the finals. Portugal came out as champions by defeating hosts France in the final. Throughout the tournament, how many games did Portugal win within the standard 90 minutes?
18. Between 1956 and 2021, how many European Cups (Champions League) have been won by clubs based in the 11 host cities of Euro 2020?
19. Of the following four players, who scored the most goals in European Championship tournaments? (Excluding qualifiers)
20. The winner of the European Football Championship receives the Henri Delaunay Trophy. Who was Henri Delaunay?
Source: Author TheOracler
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.