Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. During the 1956 Olympics, Harold Connolly fell in love with Czechoslovakian Olga Fikotova, who won the gold in the discus. This caused an international incident. Which event did Connolly compete in at those Olympics?
2. Al Oerter, after retirement, made a second career as prominent artist. He made his athletic mark on the world in which event?
3. Randy Matson dominated which throwing event during the 1960s and early 1970s?
4. Former world record holder Jay Silvester specialized throwing which implement?
5. This thrower burst on the throwing scene during the late 1970s in this event but unfortunately Bob Roggy was killed in a tragic accident at a track meet in 1986. In which event did Roggy excel during his short career?
6. Tom Petranoff set the world record in which throwing event in 1983?
7. In 1996, Lance Deal provided the United States its first medal since 1956 in which event?
8. George Woods won two silver medals in the Olympics throwing which implement?
9. In which event is three-time Olympian Fortune Gordien also a former world record holder?
10. Former professional football star Russ Francis set a high school national record throwing what?
11. A dominating presence for many years, John Powell was a four-time Olympian in which throw?
12. Olympian Bob Backus was a prominent thrower during the 1950s, but won numerous national championships in the indoor version of which event?
13. A three-time Olympian, Al Feuerbach was known for his prominent Fu Manchu mustache and held the world record in which event?
14. Breaux Greer broke the American record in which event during 2007?
15. With a career that started in the early 1960s, Ed Burke was the oldest athlete to ever break an American record in track and field when he set it in which event in 1984?
16. Two-time Olympic gold medalist Parry O'Brien revolutionized this event by developing a new style in the early 1950s. It was years before throwers in which event could catch up?
17. Tom Pukstys is a former American record holder in which throwing specialty?
18. Known for his flamboyance and wide variety of intimidation techniques including smoking between throws, Brian Oldfield was also a very successful thrower. At the age of 38, he set a world record in which throw?
19. Three-time Olympian Mac Wilkins was extremely versatile, having been successful in three different throwing events. However, in which event did he set a world record in 1976?
20. Al Hall had the unique distinction of being the first athlete to be on the first United States track team to compete in dual meets against U.S.S.R. (1958), Poland (1962), and in China (1974). What event did he represent the United States in?
Source: Author ghosttowner
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.