Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Jose Canseco was one of the most controversial stars of all-time. A great hitter, no question, but also an admitted steroid user. In his book, "Juiced", he makes it clear, he does not want to hide anything. However, he may want to hide the events of May 26, 1993. What happened?
2. July 16, 1990: Steve "Psycho" Lyons, Chicago White Sox utility man, cements his place in history. He drops down a bunt, hustles down the line to first and slides head first into the bag. What happened next?
3. One of the common, but suspenseful situations in baseball is the perfect bunt down the third base line. Will the bunt roll fair or foul? The ball crawls slowly down the line as the third baseman watches it. If it's fair, the runner's safe. If it's foul, the batter goes back to the plate. But in 1981, Lenny Randle of the Mariners had enough of the suspense. What did he do?
4. 1997: Josias Manzanillo is pitching for the Seattle Mariners when he is injured by a Manny Ramirez line drive. Which piece of commonly worn protective equipment would have prevented his injury?
5. Willie Stargell was a Hall of Famer. Some of the longest home runs in all history originated from his bat. He was known as an all-around nice guy, too. Willie was not much of a baserunner, especially in his later days. Late in his career, he tried to steal second base, realized he was going to be out by about 30 feet, and tried something original. What did he do?
6. Chuck Knoblauch was a star second baseman whose career was suddenly cut short when a mental block caused him to be unable to throw the ball accurately. This became painfully obvious when he hit a particular person in the face with a throw. Who did he hit?
7. Tommy John was not only a great pitcher for an incredible 26 years, but is also so well known for his recovery from a tendon transplant surgery that the operation now bears his name, "Tommy John Surgery." I'm sure he's glad that is what he is remembered for instead of what happened on July 27, 1988. What happened?
8. Larry Walker, the great right fielder for the Expos and Rockies, was known for his cannon arm as well as his powerful bat. He was also known for what happened on April 24, 1994, after catching a fly ball with a runner on first and one out. What happened?
9. In August 1991, David Cone was one of the only pitchers ever to strike out three batters on nine pitches. In July of 1999, he threw a perfect game, only the 17th in Major League history. But his trademark intensity also has him remembered for an argument at first base in a game against the Braves. Why is this argument remembered?
10. Dave Bresnahan was a Minor League catcher for the Williamsport Bills who ended his career in a rather spectacular fashion. What happened on his final play?
Source: Author eauhomme
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.