Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The 1969 Mets had a very formidable pitching staff which was the strength of the team. For the third year in a row, they inserted a rookie into the starting rotation as a mainstay of the staff. Who was the 1969 rookie pitcher who threw 233 innings that year?
2. The manager of the team was in his second year in New York, but was no stranger to the city. He had played for one of the New York teams during his career, and the Mets actually had to trade a player to get him as their manager. Who was he?
3. The player who caught the last batted ball of the 1969 World Series was also the player who led the team in hitting that year with a .340 batting average, although he was only a lifetime .281 hitter. Who had this career season?
4. This future Hall Of Fame pitcher led the team in victories with 25 and went on to win the Cy Young award that year. It would be the first of three times in his career wo win the Cy Young. Who was this?
5. The Mets' regular centerfielder that season led the team in both home runs with 26, and RBIs with 76. He came to the forefront in the World Series more for his defense than his bat. Who was he?
6. The team was missing something midway through the season, so at the trading deadline which was June 15 in those days, the Mets acquired a power hitting threat for the middle of their lineup. He went on to be a key cog in their World Series championship. Who was he?
7. This fireballing righthander could not crack the Mets starting rotation in 1969, although he was given an occasional start. He spent two more years with the Mets before being traded to an American League team. Who was this hard thrower?
8. On September 15, 1969, the Mets faced the St. Louis Cardinals and lefty Steve Carlton. Carlton struck out 19 batters that night but still lost the game 4-3. How did he lose the game?
9. The Mets were 9-1/2 games out of first place on August 12. They went on an amazing 37-11 run to finish the season at 100 wins and 62 losses, a full eight games ahead of their closest division rival who they passed earlier in September. Which team was it that lost that big divisional lead?
10. The Mets went to the World Series after sweeping the Atlanta Braves in the NLCS. They won the World Series four games to one over the powerhouses of the American League, the Baltimore Orioles. Which game was the only one the Baltimore won in the series?
Source: Author fredsixties
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.