Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Who was the outgoing president of Mexico in 2006?
2. The 2006 campaign for the office of president of Mexico was hard-fought and bitter. Things got worse the day of the election, when a dispute about the results of the voting began. Who was declared the winner?
3. By how many percentage points was the election decided?
4. There was an immediate cry of electoral fraud, and the runner-up immediately called for a vote-by-vote recount. Who made the decision as to whether there would be a complete recount?
5. A furious Lopez Obrador refused to accept the final results. He then proceeded to have himself sworn in as president and appointed his own cabinet.
6. As the day neared for the swearing-in of the official winner, members of Congress belonging to the PRD (Party of the Democratic Revolution) declared that they would not allow Calderon to be sworn in on the Senate podium, as is called for by the Mexican Constitution. It was then decided that the swearing-in would take place at another venue.
7. Suddenly, members of the PRD rushed the podium. Sharing space with PAN (National Action Party) members, they prepared to remain there for the remaining three days before the inauguration. What happened next?
8. There were actual fisticuffs on the floor of the Mexican Congress.
9. Which of the following dignitaries actually attended the inauguration ceremony?
10. Finally, Felipe Calderon was sworn in as president of Mexico on the Senate podium.
Source: Author robbieh
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor trident
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.