Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park is located in the island state of Hawai'i, but do you know on which island?
2. Active volcano Mauna Loa is the most massive mountain on Earth when measured from the seafloor. How high from base to top is Mauna Loa?
3. The most recent volcanic activity in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park occurs in a smaller volcano located within the park boundaries. In fact, the visitor center and the famous Crater Rim Drive are located at its edge. Do you know it?
4. Within the Kilauea Caldera is the Halema'uma'u Crater, which is a sacred spot for the Hawaiian people, as it is considered the home of the goddess of Hawaiian volcanoes. What is this goddess' name?
5. Hawaiian lava presents itself in two forms, one of which is ropy and smooth, and the other jagged and stony. What are the names of these two lava forms?
6. One challenge that the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park has faced has been the invasion of alien plants and animals that crowd out native species. Which of these mammals has caused considerable damage to plant life within the park?
7. One of the most recognized Hawaiian birds is endangered from hunting and recently-introduced alien species. What is the name of the beautiful Hawaiian goose?
8. Another amazing feature of the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park is the Thurston Lava Tube. People can walk within this tube created by hot lava flowing out of the cooled shell around it. About how old is the Thurston Lava Tube considered to be?
9. Active volcanoes can be very dangerous places. Which of the following can be deadly to the unwary visitor?
10. True or False: The Hawaiian islands are no longer being formed.
Source: Author djsgal
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor zh1322
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.