Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What is the name of the branch of science that involves the study of eggs?
2. What word describes a species of animals that reproduces by means of eggs?
3. What bird produces the largest egg among current species?
4. Most bird eggs have a shell made of (primarily) calcium carbonate to protect the developing embryo. What color is calcium carbonate?
5. The common guillemot nests in large groups, with a number of females laying their eggs in the same nest. How can the females identify their own eggs?
6. What term is used to describe the situation in which one bird lays its eggs in the nest of another species of bird?
7. It is not only birds that lay eggs. There are a few egg-laying mammals. What is the formal name for the order to which they belong?
8. Most fish reproduce through a process in which the female lays a large number of eggs in the water, to be externally fertilized by a male. What is the name for this process?
9. Reptiles lay eggs, too. Often, the sex of the developing embryo is determined by environmental conditions rather than being predetermined genetically. Which of these factors is most commonly a determinant of reptilian gender?
10. Seahorses are not the only species in which the male regularly helps with the child-raising. In which of the following species does the male keep the tadpoles in his vocal sac during metamorphosis?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.