Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. On the Great Barrier Reef just off the coast of Queensland, Australia, there are many different forms and patterns of coral. How many have been identified?
2. The bottom of a reef is a limestone base of dead coral and the colored parts you see are living. Living reef coral is made up of tiny creatures called polyps. What are some of their characteristics?
3. Reproduction of coral requires the assistance of zooxanthellae (pronounced zo-zan-thell-y). There is some question over whether they are animals or plants but there is no question that they are essential to the reproductive process. Do they live outside the polyp or inside the polyp?
4. Asexual fragmentation is a reproductive method in coral. When does this occur?
5. Coral ________ is when the polyp will eject brightly colored, coordinated bundles of eggs and sperm. What is the recognised term for this kind of reproduction?
Source: Author Exit10
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.