Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Tachybaptus ruficollis is a winter visitor to Cyprus. It is a medium-sized bird, brown in colour with no tail and a short pointed bill. What is the name of the bird than can be normally seen in Cyprus between October and April?
2. Phoenicopterus roseus is a winter visitor to Cyprus. It is a very large pink and white bird that can be seen in the two salt lakes and other large bodies of water. What is the name of this tall and slender bird?
3. Falco tinnunculus is a medium-sized hawk with long pointed wings and long tail. The male has a light red-brown back and the female is darker brown. What is the name of this resident bird to Cyprus that can be seen hunting even in the cities?
4. Alectoris chukar is the best known game bird in Cyprus. The chukar's predominant colour is pale grey with red bill and legs. It is a very fast running bird and takes off with a characteristic sound. What is the bird known as locally?
5. The other day we spotted a small, plump brown bird in our garden. It had an orange-red face and breast and white belly. What is the name of this bird with the scientific name of Erithacus rubecula?
6. Another visitor to our garden was a medium-sized bird, dark brown in colour with a pale throat and streaky breast. Surprisingly this is the female of the species. What is the name of the bird that goes by the scientific name Turdus merula?
7. While visiting the Troodos Mountains in the summer you can hear the characteristic song of this small bird. If you are observant you can spot this rather plain brown bird hidden in the trees that offer good cover. What is the name of this bird that goes by the name of Luscinia megarhynchos?
8. This bird can be seen near water such as coasts, harbours, lakes and ponds. It is a small, beautiful blue and green bird with an orange breast and a long black bill. In flight you get the impression of a flash of colours. What is the name of this bird that goes by the scientific name Alcedo atthis?
9. This is a small bird that normally lives in scrub. The male is dark grey with a black head. The rest of the body is barred grey on white. It has a black tail with white edges. What is the name of this bird that can be found only in Cyprus and goes by the name Sylvia melanothorax?
10. This is a medium-sized bird with heavy black and white bars across the back and tail. It sports a characteristic large crest that can be raised like a fan. It can be seen everywhere during the summer months. What is the name of this summer visitor that also goes by the name Upupa epops?
Source: Author gme24
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor guitargoddess
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.