Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Eric Morecambe was not his given name. He was christened something totally different. What were his given names?
2. Eric's parents were George and Sadie. One of them was very influential in Eric developing his talents at an early age. Which one was it?
3. In 1939, Eric won a talent contest. The prize was an audition with Jack Hylton, a dance band leader and impresario. At this audition he met someone for the first time who would have a lasting effect on him. Who was it?
4. Eric and Ernie worked together for a couple of years until WWII intervened, and National Service beckoned. Ernie joined the merchant navy. In which branch of the forces did Eric serve?
5. During the war years, Morecambe and Wise lost touch. A chance reunion in London gave them the opportunity to once again work together, and, again, it was Eric's mother who encouraged it. Their first work during this time was on stage and radio. In 1954 they made their first TV appearance. What was the show called?
6. On the 21st October 1961 the pair got their very own TV show. It was an immediate success. Can you remember the name of that show?
7. In 1968 the pair switched to the BBC. This was because of a breakdown in negotiations with Lew Grade. What was one of the reasons given for the switch?
8. The 1968 season for the BBC was a great success. Eric, however, felt under enormous pressure to make the scripts 'work'. What was the main consequence of this pressure?
9. Throughout their later years, Morecambe and Wise poked fun at many celebrities. There was one, in particular, who came in for a lot of criticism. Who was it?
10. There were many sketches from their shows that stick in the mind. One of the most famous was the 'Breakfast' sketch, where Eric and Ernie were in the kitchen. Which piece of music was this sketch set to?
11. A constant feature of the later shows were Ernie's plays. How were these 'works of art' inevitably presented?
12. Numerous stars queued up to be humiliated by Eric and Ernie. One very famous newsreader of the time proved to be a fine dancer, and showed a very nice pair of legs. Who was it?
13. Most people remember 'that piano sketch' that featured Andre Previn, or as he was known on the show 'Andrew Preview'. Which piece of music was Andre trying to get Eric to play?
14. Eric was the first to leave this Earth. His untimely death occurred at the age of just 58 years. Where did he finally pass away?
15. In 1976, Eric and Ernie were honoured by the Queen. Which award did they receive?
Source: Author romeomikegolf
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nannanut
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.