Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which large South American country is named after a metal?
2. Which South American country is named after a European explorer?
3. Which country in the north of South America, with English as its official language, has a name from a word in an ancient Amerindian language meaning "land of many waters"?
4. Which South American country is commonly said to have been named by Amerigo Vespucci because it reminded him of an Italian city?
5. The derivation of the name of which thin South American country is debated - possible sources including the call of a bird, the name of a tribal chief or Native American words meaning "the ends of the earth" or "snow"?
6. Which landlocked South American country was named after a Venezuelan hero of the battles for independence from Spain?
7. Which South American country - conquered by Pizarro - has a name that either comes from that of a ruler or from a misunderstanding of what a fisherman said?
8. The second smallest country in South America (after Suriname) was named after a river whose name either comes from a shellfish or a bird. What is its name?
9. Which South American country gained its name when it was the southernmost district of Colombia and is the only country in the world named after an imaginary line?
10. Which South American country is believed to have been named after a type of tree?
Source: Author Upstart3
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor spanishliz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.