Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Marseille's official founding was by which group of people who named it Massalia in 600 BC?
2. What is the name of the scientist and explorer from Massalia who became the first person to study the Arctic and the North Pole?
3. Massalia became part of the Roman Empire after a siege in 49 BC by which Roman?
4. According to local French tradition, which female biblical figure introduced Christianity to Massilia with Lazarus, her brother?
5. In 1348, when the rest of France and Europe was being devastated by Bubonic Plague, Marseille was miraculously spared.
6. In 1481, Marseille merged with which French region, that is today known for its herb mixture?
7. Chateau d'If was a fortress built in Marseille in 1531. Although it was built as a military outpost to protect the city, Chateau d'If is most famous for being the setting of which classic French novel?
8. Which of the following best describes Marseille's role during the French Revolution?
9. King Alexander I of which country was assassinated in Marseille along with French Minister Louis Barthou on October 9, 1934?
10. Starting in 1989, Marseille holds a film festival annually for which kind of movies?
Source: Author Joepetz
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.